Debate!

Okay, so...I had this idea about a debate thread. Since we already have so many arguments and debates here, attempting to persuade one another about how our views are right and whatnot, I figured we may as well set aside a specific thread for it, so it doesn't clutter up other areas unnecessaily.

However, bear in mind, certain parameters remain in place, so that this remains a civil and decent area for debate to take place. While normal, idle discussion is allowed here alongside actual debate, certain things are not.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

1. No religion. Period. I know, this is pretty obvious for most, but just in case any newcomers happen through and decide that they want to give religious conversion/discouragement a go...this is me, saying...don't. A brief religious mention is fine, but do not use that as your point, or your counterpoint (and ESPECIALLY not for the center of your debate). Likewise, there is no need for mention of agnosticism or atheism; no need to know or discuss religious/spiritual worldviews of any sort. We all know the debate is entirely secular.

2. No racist/ethnic/sexist foolishness. Again, see above.

3. No rudeness. None. Please no cheap shots at a person's character or motives/intentions. Sarcasm is allowed, as long as it is not excessive or prolonged. But if the argument gets into the Internet equivalent of a yelling match/screaming match/brawl, then every post not pertaining to the debate topic at hand will be deleted, and you can choose to:

    A) Start from where you left off (to get back on track)

    B) Abandon the debate and delete it (if you find the debate pointless)

    C) Abandon it, but leave it up for posterity (if you want to be able to learn from mistakes...)

4. Do not come to a debate angry. If you do come to a debate angry, do not let your anger show. If you let your anger show, let it come out as brief sarcasm or whatever, and then move on. If you don't want to move on, then there WILL be consequences...

5. Likewise, do not leave a debate angry. Any debate that occurs in this thread is purely for sport. A mental equivalent of a gym, or a sparring ring. No grudge enters or leaves the ring. And...um, the first rule of Fight Club is that nobody talks about Fight Club, and all that jazz. Basically, don't let debates here affect how you interact with one another elsewhere in the forum.

6. Be logical or philosophical, your choice. But have a base. Basically, if a source for your information is not already widely known (such as an article from an obscure website or blog), make sure to provide a link to the source. Or if the passage/information is short/small enough, feel free to post the entire source, if you want.

    A) A short article is typically one (1) to three (3) paragraphs long.

    B) Pictures of any size are acceptable, just nothing vulgar, obscene or irrelevant to your argument.

7. No "tag-teaming" unless all parties involved agree; that means, only one-on-one debates are allowed, unless all parties involved agree to go two-on-one, two-on-two, three-on-two, etc. In addition, if you are not involved in the debate (the one actually debating), then please be so kind as to BUTT OUT, unless you comment as a spectator. No ganging up on people.

8. Be willing to admit defeat. If irrefutable evidence is given, do not drag on a debate endlessly until you simply WEAR DOWN the party with the superior argument. Likewise, do not resort to insults or whining if you do not get your way. If you find that you have been proven incorrect in your view (or find that you cannot support your view strongly enough), be willing to back down and back off, especially if it is a blow to your ego. And be graceful about it.

By participating in this the activities facilitated by this thread, you agree to all of the above terms, and any others that may be added to (or derived from) said terms in the future.

Failure to abide by the above terms will be regarded with zero tolerance, and will be swiftly dealt with.

Otherwise, feel free to debate the most controversial topics, or the most obscure. Let's have some good, clean, nerdy fun, and enjoy this thread to the fullest extent of its intended purpose.

Re: Debate!

neogenetica
I do find the idea fascinating, yet there are some issues. For instance while I'm sure any who participate won't hold grudges, but things can carry over subconsciously or influence one's overall perception. Secondly will it really be possible to determine which argument is "Right" in the end? Sure on things that are overall prediction(Given humanity's ethical and social direction, will we be _______  or _______ in the future?) may have more conclusive evidence to support them yet other things that tend more on the philisophical(I just know I misspelled that) sides are highly subjective. I like the idea but was wwondering if you had any solutions to these problems.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Re: Debate!

 No problem; each instance is covered.

If they hold a grudge, it's fine, but they'd better not show it. Otherwise, we delete all hostile posts up to the point where the hostility began.

Likewise, there's no namecalling, insults, etc, beyond only the mild sting of sarcasm.

 And as for who is "right" in the end; it's just determined by who gives up the debate first. A debate ends when it ends. No time limit, no post limit, until it gets out of control. If it takes up a couple pages, fine, but when it gets to twenty, thirty pages, the admins/mods MUST step in, and help resolve the issue, as quickly and concisely as possible.

Sound good?

Re: Debate!

neogenetica
I suppose. I was just worrying that if a "Jury" were used to hastily early on it would be subject to more bias.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Re: Debate!

 No jury. It's strictly between either party involved in the debate itself.

Re: Debate!

WonderDrow
Administrator
No jury. Just a judge and executioner. He goes by the nickname Wulf and he loves the shadows.

Run while you still can. Don't look back. Never look back.
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: Debate!

 Well...ahem...I will drop in occasionally to make sure things run smoothly...

It's only when they DON'T run smoothly that you'd be wise to run...

Re: Debate!

So..

What are opinions on Gay Marriage?

Re: Debate!

Meh. Let 'em do what they want. If the pastor/reverend/preacher/rabbi/priest/whatever agrees to do the ceremony, then it's not my business, let alone the business of the entire state.

Re: Debate!

I say anyone should be able to marry anyone (or anything) they want....mostly because I like to read the news stories about people who married crazy things.

Re: Debate!

 Wow...

Re: Debate!

MAN PROPOSES TO TOASTER!

TOASTER ACCEPTS!

Re: Debate!

Like that....

Re: Debate!

 Indubitably.

Re: Debate!

Well, I'm glad you both think this.

I guess I should call off the assassins.

Re: Debate!

No, leave them be....I like a challenge.

Re: Debate!

 And I should probably call off the counter-squad that I sent to get rid of your guys.

I'm shocked you actually thought anyone here would think otherwise.

I'm a liberal, remember? I don't agree with everyone's lifestyle that's different from mine, but it doesn't mean I'm not willing to let them make their own decisions...who am I to impose my beliefs on others?

Re: Debate!

Re: Debate!

Anyone heard of Antinatalism?

Re: Debate!