Writing Exercises!

Re: Writing Exercises!

 @Previous story: Nice. Very interesting. And potential for a cool book.

But we can continue the essay chat here, if you want. Feel free to re-upload it.

Re: Writing Exercises!

Essay2.docx

Re: Writing Exercises!

 I'll be with you shortly.

Re: Writing Exercises!

Before or after Wednesday?

Re: Writing Exercises!

 *ahem* Here I am.

Re: Writing Exercises!

It's due Wednesday.

I have another class from 2:00 til 2:50.

Re: Writing Exercises!

 Well, you have me available now, until 4:30.

Re: Writing Exercises!

Well.

What did you think?

Re: Writing Exercises!

Sorry...fell asleep (not because of your essay, I promise).

Anywho, lemme start with the first paragraph.

Re: Writing Exercises!

If you're busy, you just have to tell me. :P

Re: Writing Exercises!

 Sorry, I keep getting distracted. But I was starting on my comments just now.

Re: Writing Exercises!

Now. Let's start off with this paragraph. It's not bad, for the most part, but a couple things make it sort of awkward. Specifically the bold words, first.

Zaleramancer wrote
The Great Gatsby, written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is a novel about the discrepancy between the perceived golden glamour of the elite high life and the actual reality of how human the elite really are. In the novel, Fitzgerald describes, from the viewpoint of Nick Carraway, the drama surrounding a wealthy man named Jay Gatsby. It delves into Gatsby’s history and connections with Daisy Buchanan, the wife of Tom Buchanan. Other characters of interest are Jordan Baker, a famous golf player with whom Nick has a brief romantic relationship; Meyer Wolfsheim, a paranoid member of organized crime who fixed a World Series game; Myrtle Wilson, A woman of great vitality and Tom’s Mistress. Fitzgerald described many kinds of rich and wealthy people, but of particular interest are the “Careless”, the Fearful and the Deceptive people.
The bold things are repetitive. Pick one word or the other.

Re: Writing Exercises!

Afterward, take a look at the italics.

[...]
These seem like important people, but it might be better to mention specific people in the later paragraphs, not the introduction. Focus is better kept on the main idea of the story itself; a couple general statements which should lead smoothly into your thesis statement. Though, I do like the fact that your thesis statement includes the three types of people about whom your essay will be about, so kudos for that.

Re: Writing Exercises!

I'll get on the second paragraph shortly.

Re: Writing Exercises!

Ah.

I was going for Alliterative Appeal for Golden Glamour.

What italics?

Re: Writing Exercises!

Hmmm.

I'll have to think of some things for a general summary, yes..

Re: Writing Exercises!

And sorry, I fixed it. NOW, check the italics.

Re: Writing Exercises!

I will have to turn this in before 10:00 in the morning tomorrow.

So, if you're going to offer any advice that I'll actually use, I would advise doing so before tomorrow comes.

Re: Writing Exercises!

 Well, if you're not actually gonna use my advice, then I honestly don't know what to say. Here I was, thinking I was being helpful.

Seriously, your essay is fine, for the most part. But the mechanics are kinda stiff; you can be sort of redundant with word choices, sometimes dump information that is obvious from things you've previously stated, and the flow of information is sometimes choppy.

You don't need new information; you need new organization and arrangement of the current information, which is why my changes may seem so minor.

Re: Writing Exercises!

I'm writing about a subject I don't care for. This is from a rough draft I did an hour before class.

:D

I can still use help, it just seems as if you do a paragraph or so then drift off for half a day.

Sorry.