Mythology!

Re: Mythology!

Golem Marv wrote
How long have you studied mythology?

Ooo. A tough one. I've been interested in myths and legend for a long time, since at least age ten or so. I wouldn't call it studying, precisely, but I've certainly been reading and talking about them for years. If pressed, I'd peg eight years or so, but that makes it seem like I'm some sort of professional.

What other Mythologies have you studied?

Most of the European based myths I've at least looked at. Of note are the ancient Greek and Norse myth systems, which I've given the most attention. I've also looked at some interesting bits of Slavic myths, mostly those about vampires. I know enough about Eastern European folklore to quote one Romanian folk-saying that always amused me: Before you reach heaven, the saints will eat you. It references the idea that demons shall attempt to devour souls before they can reach.. well, heaven. I enjoy the look on people's faces after I share that tidbit. I also know a decent amount about Sumerian myths. Or at least enough to summarize the story of Marduk as You are being given the power of airbending to go kill your grandmother, who's a dragon, because she's angry that your dad killed your grandfather and made him into a house.

How do you think Egyptian Mythology differs from other mythologies you’ve studied?

If I wanted to be witty, I'd say something shallow, like the fact that many of the gods have animal heads. At least two of the major mythologies I've looked at feature the idea of the current gods having overthrown the older ones. This is almost always depicted the older gods as something more monstrous and primal- You can see this with the Jotun of Norse myths and the Titans of Greek ones. However, once these forces were conquered, the ruler-ship of the world never changed. Odin was never overthrown by his own children, nor was Zeus. The Egyptians, to my somewhat limited knowledge, lacked much of the idea of older, meaner gods ruling before the current ones. The various creation stories I've read about this feature, rather, the current crop of gods being the ones in charge. In at least one, they also have the overthrowing of the chief god Ra by the schemes of the goddess Isis. This itself sets it apart from many of the other stories I've read.

The Egyptians also placed, or seemed to place, a great deal of emphasis on death. Their most enduring monuments are tombs, and they have a book devoted wholly to instruct the dead on how to navigate the afterlife. Their anatomy of the soul is nothing like I've seen in any other mythology, with it's listing of the various parts.

What are some of your personal views on Egyptian mythology as a whole?

I rather like it, though I, in all honesty, don't know as much about it as I would like.

How do you feel about myths as a method for storytelling?

Myths are rich in themes and associations. It's often amazing how even long dead myths can still paint modern culture, like the twined serpents of the Caduceus attest.

Do you believe that myths hold an educational value for people today? How?

Oh certainly. It's an amazing way of peeking into the lives and values of dead peoples. You can tell a lot about what a culture values by looking at their gods and culture-heroes. Look at the Egyptians- one of their former chief gods is now the god of the underworld, which nicely reflects how frankly they approach death. In other ways, you can trace many ideas and bits of folklore back to ancient times. The Egyptian concept of souls involves the idea that part of the soul is the Ren, or name. It can never die so long as someone still speaks it, or some of it exists. This reminds me very much of a little saying about you never truly die until you are forgotten.

Why do you think that Egyptian Gods and myths feature animals so commonly?

Many gods are represented with, or associated with, particular animals. It's a trend so old that the origin is probably forgotten. The Egyptian gods were often considered to represent the aspect of realty they were associated with, like how the goddess Nut was considered not merely rule the sky, but to actually be it. So, perhaps, the animals that gods were associated with were considered to be, in some way, extensions of the gods themselves. Could be much more easy to appease a god if they're dwelling partially in something you can see and interact with.

Egyptians, unlike some other cultures were not overly fearful of death as reflected in their myth.  Why do you believe this was?

They thought they had a good idea of what to expect. Most fear of death comes from fear of uncertainty. If you have a great deal of confidence in how thing are going, it becomes less of a possible end and more of a large shift in existing. Do the right things, follow the instructions, make sure you get buried properly, and you'll continue on in life without that much difficulty.

Do you have a favorite myth or God from Egyptian mythology? Why?

Isis is a personal favorite. I have a certain weakness for conniving and devious female characters, and Isis certainly fits the bill. She manipulated her husband onto the throne of the gods, then brought him back from the grave, although incompletely, when he was murdered by his brother. After that, she made sure her son Horus could assume the throne. This cunning and touch of magic is something I find really interesting.

Re: Mythology!

Feel free to use my name or whatever you want.

You may also want to pare down on my answers, since I might have gone a bit off track a few times.

Re: Mythology!

Okey-dokey, link us when it's done.

Re: Mythology!

Diomedes.

Re: Mythology!

This actually helps with with an issue I've been having.  My Game Development group is making a deck building game for Greek Mythology and explaining why Diomedes should have a higher attack value was getting tedious.

Re: Mythology!

Does that little diatribe ever get around to mentioning Diomedes' prized horseys, by any chance?

The Mares of Diomedes?

Re: Mythology!

Just link them to that.

Actually, just read the whole damn tumblr it is beautiful.

Re: Mythology!

 Yeah, if it were up to me, I'd just direct them to the mythology websites. Sometimes, folks just need to see it themselves.

Theoi.

Encyclopedia Mythica.

And others will be a great big help, and save a whole mess of confusion, for your less mythically-inclined brethren and/or sistren. *ahem* Not to mention, places on Tumblr and the like, where folks share similar mythical interest to my own.

Re: Mythology!

Yes.

Re: Mythology!

 Dang, that always DID get me. Reusing folks' names more than one time in mythology. I shoulda known better than to think the 'Trojan War' Diomedes was the same as 'Heracles' Twelve Labors' Diomedes.

Re: Mythology!

WonderDrow
Administrator
Makes me wonder how it's even possible to train horses to eat meat.
Grind it into strings and add green dye?
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: Mythology!

They're carnivorous from the outset, I would think.

Magical people eating horses.

Re: Mythology!

Philote
Administrator
Abandon logic, all ye who enter here:

Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Mythology!

WonderDrow
Administrator
My logic is hurting now...
Need more grains of salt...
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: Mythology!

GoodCerberus
Cerberus is a very amazing beast, isn't he? (Plus, I got the plush in my avatar in the mail yesterday! WOOOOOOO!)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Re: Mythology!

Certainly. Did you know that he's descended from divinity? Neither of his parents were even canine!