Mary Sue vote.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

Gentleman Vaultboy
Here's a tip:Just watch Star Wars again, and mentally replace all light-sabers with dragons.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: Mary Sue vote.

I think the main reason people think Eragon is a gary stu is because he is something of an instant expert at so many things..

I mean, do you expect someone to be the bestest sword swinger ever after a month or two?

Personally, the only thing I really disliked in the books were the elves.. I spent most of the second and third books wishing to take them down several notches.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

Gentleman Vaultboy
Not to mention what a jackass Eragon becomes. Some of the things he dose would make him the villain of any other book.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: Mary Sue vote.

Let's read Eragon!

It has a hatedom that rivals that of twilight.

A most impressive achievement.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

One thing I noticed now.

In the very start of the first novel, you have a Shade (Nasty magical thing) and some Urgals (Think ugly horned dwarves) attacking a trio of Elves (Magical hippies).

What bothers me is why Ayra (You get her name later) doesn't just karate flip forward and snap the most of the urgal's necks/ or blow them up with magic. Instead she runs.

The Shade is rather nasty, but still. She's a flipping elf. In this world, elves are even more perfect than normal.

Super-strong, super-fast, good at magic, nearly immortal.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

I...I did not know that!

So many people I know were into that book, suggesting I read it! How could this have avoided my friends' Sue-dar???

Re: Mary Sue vote.

The thing is, I find it hard to think that someone as capable as Arya would be so easily defeated.

I mean, in that world, you can kill entire armies with a few sentences. I'm sure she could manage a fireball.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

 I think I made a similar gaffe in my story Vampire Hunt.

Though, in my defense, I completed it in the span of a school year, and ended up paying more attention to proofreading.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

jester_of_god
three minutes tops. Two if the objective is to completely obliterate the body and soul regardless of collateral damage.
Welcome one and All to the Jesters Carnival, where the prizes are greater than your wildest dreams, but the nightmares here shall silence you before you can even scream.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

It's good to see-er-read you again.

Also, I think I can find a soul-draining black void of nothingness to strand her fragmented soul in..

Re: Mary Sue vote.

jester_of_god
I carry one in my pocket, never know when you'll need one...seriously, just about every freaking enemy I have at this point has freaking predictability negation.
Welcome one and All to the Jesters Carnival, where the prizes are greater than your wildest dreams, but the nightmares here shall silence you before you can even scream.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

The nearest thing I have is a compressed black hole.

Still, that can be useful.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

jester_of_god
seriously, I'm good, It's basically what Jester was trapped in.

It's in my head now...How about we submit ourselves, or our own creations to this judging.
Welcome one and All to the Jesters Carnival, where the prizes are greater than your wildest dreams, but the nightmares here shall silence you before you can even scream.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

 Gentleman Vaultboy says that powers don't make the Sue, so I'm likely not a Mary Sue. Plus, I have only certain capabilities, none of which include directly killing a living creature. If I do on purpose, then my powers are stricken from me...

Re: Mary Sue vote.

jester_of_god
...so your just the pretty much omnipotent benevolent king of your own planet who is loved by almost all of his subjects and has the being that was supposed to kill him and destroy him as his servant/bodyguard, and you can never kill a living soul or your powers will be taken from you...
Welcome one and All to the Jesters Carnival, where the prizes are greater than your wildest dreams, but the nightmares here shall silence you before you can even scream.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

Anything sounds powerful if you say it right...

Re: Mary Sue vote.

jester_of_god
Describe The penultimate in a way that is not powerful, heck Describe some one like me in a way that's not powerful...although the second one might be slightly easier to do than the first.
Welcome one and All to the Jesters Carnival, where the prizes are greater than your wildest dreams, but the nightmares here shall silence you before you can even scream.

Re: Mary Sue vote.

The Penultimate is a caring lord of an ancient mythological land and is forbidden from killing any living thin, lest he lose his power.