Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

And I'm sorry if my tone seems caustic.

I'm on the edge because someone came and sat next to me, looking at everything I was typing, then refusing to shut up when I hinted bluntly for them to.

A self-entitled asshole who masquerades as a Christian was sitting across from me.

Yay cafeterias.

I absconded to leave them to argue. I'm sure the trollish junkie will have fun arguing with the asshole.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Philote
Yes, one path is better than the other and both paths are open to everyone.

As for the Hurricane statement: Not just two people's, I've bitten my own apple so that makes at least three people who screwed up the world. Also, some other things have to be considered in the equation like what exactly God promises us in this life and therefor what we should expect and the fact God created everything so things like him taking a life and a human murdering someone is very different (Even someone dieing of old age is God taking/translating life from this one to the next while murder is essentially someone playing God since only God has authority over life and death).
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Our viewpoints are so different that there is no way anything that can be said will be interpreted correctly.

So I'm just giving up.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Philote
I'm sorry for the trouble, and don't worry, I'm trying to not take anything personally so if my tone is coming out negatively please tell me because I simply wish to talk about what I believe.

Here is a link to an article I read a while ago that I remember being insightful. I don't fully remember all the points it made but if you see something you disagree with, please point it out and I'll try to look deeper and see how I feel as well.
Why Does God Allow Tragedy and Suffering?
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

There's no way for me to read that and not respond in the same way Wulf would if he read this.

So I'm not going to.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Philote
Administrator
Fair enough, I shouldn't force it on you. As always, if you want to talk anything over you can contact me on here or on facebook.

I can even give you my opinion on that article if you wanted, but it would require me studying up more on that specific section of the Bible first.
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

No thank you, it was something I hastily googled to have an example, rather than something I examined and agree with.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Zaleramancer wrote
I'm arguing against the argument stated in the video.

Which is God doesn't make life better because he can't interfere with our decisions.

Which is bunk.

It's more like: God is too nice to make you do the right thing.
No. He's wise, and just, and has obviously deemed it unwise and unjust to do so. He's not a wimp by any means. The fact is, rather than simply forcing us to do it, or coercing us by subversive and deceptive practices, He gave us commandments. And He tells us the consequence of those commandments.

What..

I sometimes forget that our experiences with Christianity were somewhat different.

My church was more similar to this.

That is, DO SOMETHING WRONG? GO TO HELL NOW. GOODBYE.

And that is bullshit.

How the hell are they supposed to know the consequences? God doesn't exactly descend from on high to explain the rules before it's to late. He wants you to rely on the interpretations of two thousand years of authors.

This punishes people for choosing anything but desperately throw themselves at some denomination of Christianity in hopes that they might be right.

Might.
Well, that's the part with faith. Numerous sects of Christianity teach slight variations of the teachings of God. Though, ultimately, it's up to the individual person to decipher what things we do and don't do, to be pleasing to God. And God isn't concerned with traditions like celebrating holidays or whatever, but certain things are staples in the Christian faith: Jesus Christ is the son of God; He lived the perfect life, and taught perfect teachings; His teachings were to SHOW LOVE, follow God's commandments and leave a positive impact on the world in the name of Father God, so that others are perhaps encouraged to follow your example (ie Jesus' example); ergo, TRY to live your life like Jesus lived His (as best as our frail human capacity allows); ask forgiveness and guidance where you fall short; try to gather together with other believers, to help strengthen you on your Christian walk, and for you to help others on their Christian walk.

That's a cop out. I don't know, but I'm sure it works out in the end.
Well, what more do you want me to say? I believe in God as being Good, and I believe in the Devil as being Evil. I believe I have felt the presence of both, at points in my life, and I believe I have received divine inspiration at some points in my life to know and experience things I otherwise would not have known or experienced. I've received blessings, and seen miracles. I'm convinced.

However, I can't hope to convince others with the same, because it comes from a relationship with God. People say they want to see a manifestation of God, but if you actually physically saw God, and you thought from that point on, that God's over your shoulder, would you really follow Him out of loving obedience? Or would you follow Him out of a sense of loveless (maybe-resentful) duty? If and how we come to him, it should be UNFORCED, and it should be a personal thing between us and God. So, I apologize for being unable to give you anything concrete on that end; I can't offer you a DNA profile, or a birth certificate, or an accurate picture of Jesus; I can only offer you what I've gained from the Bible, and what I've seen in my life. Aside from that, as science will tell you, the universe works, by its very nature, to reach equilibrium. I can only assume that God, having ingeniously designed those laws of nature, works toward the same medium (for nature, equilibrium; for law and philosophy, justice).

I suggest you enjoy slowly decomposing in the ground.
I understand what you meant to do, but I don't know why that should be equivalent. Aside from the fact that my dead mortal body can't hope to enjoy ANYTHING as it's reduced slowly to fertilizer, I'm only suggesting that you ask, to have your questions answered. Why would it be more intellectually satisfying to ask mere mortals, who don't understand all the essence of the universe, rather than the Creator, who made everything, and remembers it just as well now, as when He made it, so long ago?

Whatever answer you receive, would satisfy you wholly, and completely, while my answers may only leave you with more questions.

Despite how it may sound, I am not implying Heaven or Hell for you (and certainly not Limbo; being Protestant, I don't believe in it). I suggest only that you ask Him, during a time when you will have the opportunity to see Him face to face. Where you end up after this life is entirely between you and God, no matter what good or evil I observe from you.

----------------

And I'm sorry if this seems like a rant. It isn't meant to be; if it comes across that way, I apologize. Though, as a Christian, I believe that the things of God are very serious, and are matters that need to be dealt with as soon as possible. And one-liners simply don't do it. God is complex. Some think that they can't understand Him at all, no matter how much they try. Though, I believe some parts of Him CAN be understood, and the part that could be understood, God provided to us to pour over, throughout our lives. And some, we only achieve through deep meditation on what He's given us.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Your tone reveals what's in your mind. Whether it comes out nicely or meanly, it's there. I can't fault you for that. Like I've said, your feelings are your feelings, your opinions are your opinions, your perspectives are your perspectives.

All I can hope to do is answer your challenges with decent replies. It should only ever result in a discussion, as arguments get us nowhere, whether one side is right or wrong.

And to be honest with you, you keep getting terrible samplings of Christianity over in Mississippi, so I can't blame you for feeling skeptical of us, or the God we serve. The only problem I have is with people who absolutely refuse to even have a discussion/talk/debate, and then go off on a rant like, "OMG GOD IS X-Y-Z!!! BLAH BLAH GOD!!! EVOLUTION IS BETTAR!!!". Those people? Those, I could not meet in real life; they provoke the Christian part of me to sit down politely, and let the non-Christian part of me take over to hurt their feelings.

You, and people like you, on the other hand, are at least open to Discussion, or even it's ugly close cousin Argument. For that, I can say you're on higher ground than a hard-hearted, stubborn, narrow-minded person on either end of the spectrum.

And, just so you know, I've read that article before. I found it hilariously absurd for it's grievously-flawed and philosophically-unsound critique. It didn't make me angry in the least.
Whd

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Whd
Administrator
She broke the fourth wall ... well, she's aware of the fourth wall

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Whd

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Internet Awesomeness: Once More, with Feeling!

Ericus Europaeus (Bug)
Administrator
Whd

CONTENTS DELETED