Interesting superpower questions

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Myself
Administrator
Here is one I thought of a while ago:

You get to choose:
-1 superpower: A superpower. Enough said.
-1 element: One classical element, such as fire, earth, water, wind, metal and wood.
-1 animal: You can turn into an animal of choice. You can also perform partial transformations, including physical features, dimensions and size. Regardless of form, you possess the lifespan of the longest-lived animal of the two (select whale, get whale's life, select mouse, keep human's). For example, if I chose a Peregrine Falcon (likely my chosen animal, with cat a close second), I could, for example:
1) Decrease my size (it is smaller than me), but not become smaller than it.
2) Borrow part of it's eyesight in human form.
3) Turn into a giant bird.
4) Take it's pectoral muscle size in comparison to it's body, increasing my chest muscle.

I would choose Omnipotent Power Mimicry* (predictable with me, isn't it? ), air and Peregrine Falcon.

*= I possess the power (as always ).
**=Unsure, subject to possible reconsideration.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Quantakinesis, Electricity, Shark.

So, uh, what do we get from the element we choose?
Whd

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Whd
Omnipotent Power Mimicry.
One of the four classical elements.
Probably an awesome bird (of prey) too, or a dolphin ... or a cat or a dog.

So nobody's gonna answer my Blacklight virus question?
Okay, new one.
Would anybody take promocin, if it became available freely?
You cannot test if you're likely to survive; for this question, everyone has the same chance (no advantage for those who are left-handed).
For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a fluid that has 50% chance of giving you superpowers and 50% chance of killing you.

I would, I'm okay with those odds the way my life has gone till now (and will likely continue for some time).

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Myself
WHD wrote
I got another question for y'all.
If you got a vial of the Blacklight virus, like Alex Mercer, and you could get away from Gentek undetected ... would you release it, knowing it's full effects (having played Prototype and possibly Prototype 2)?
Or would you continue being this brilliant Ph.D researcher working for Gentek?
As awesome as Alex Mercer's powers are, as a moral human being, I wouldn't release it.

I might do research in order to make it just grant superpowers and to reduce transmission (so not everyone gets powers, putting us back at square one). The original only caused the effects because it was designed as a weapon; if it were refined, it should make a reliable superpower serum, given it's success so far, despite it's intended lethality. There is nothing immoral about that.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Myself
Well, I answered your question, may answer others.

WHD wrote
Would anybody take promocin, if it became available freely?
You cannot test if you're likely to survive; for this question, everyone has the same chance (no advantage for those who are left-handed).
For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a fluid that has 50% chance of giving you superpowers and 50% chance of killing you.

I would, I'm okay with those odds the way my life has gone till now (and will likely continue for some time).
I am actually not sure if I'd take the risk. I would have a high chance of getting powers, but I may still get a lame power if I am lucky enough to survive.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Philote
Administrator
1. I would not release the Blacklight virus unless I could do it without killing everyone

2. I think I would take promocin, I'm feeling lucky and I really want a superpower.....

3. a. Theme Manager, one of my basic default abilities but really any superpower would work
b. Air, always seemed one of the most useful to me
c. Gorilla, enhanced in most physical stats over a human and do not have to relearn how to use body as much.
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Myself
Shadowulf1 (Wulf) wrote
So, uh, what do we get from the element we choose?
You would be able to manipulate it and maybe sense it.

Why did you choose your three? What did you choose electricity and shark for (I know why you want Quantakinesis*; I'm not saying your choices aren't awesome )?

I would choose (as stated before):
-Peregrine Falcon: Shrink myself, increase muscle tone in select areas (for appearance and practicality), flight, spying, sight, hearing, etc.
-Air: Fly with greater ease, pairs well with bird form, carry sound over distances, manipulate temperature through gas laws (though difficult and less practical than fire/ice manipulation), etc.
-Omnipotent Power Mimicry*: Use any power, unlikely to cause lust for power yet powerful enough to fulfill needs.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Myself
Philote wrote
c. Gorilla, enhanced in most physical stats over a human and do not have to relearn how to use body as much.
Nice choice. You can use a gorilla's strength and your own human speed.

Not to mention using your feet as hands.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Philote
Administrator
I'm pretty sure a gorilla is faster than me in most cases
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

What if it's a really old gorilla?

Re: Interesting superpower questions

 Who the heck would want to channel an old gorilla?

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Mik_Hael
Administrator
I was watching Hancock, and and interesting theory came to mind.

Is a small population more likely to have incredible abilities more than a large one due to them having only a small number in existence?

The Hancock species only maintained their powers only so long as they did not "pair up" upon this occurrence, they would slowly loose their abilities and become mortal.  If they remained alone and singular, they remained super powered, and immortal.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Larger population, larger odds. That's how I see it.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Mik_Hael
Administrator
But there is no need for there to be supers in a large population due to the species having a larger chance of survival.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

It's still more likely with more people. Simple statistics.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Mik_Hael
Administrator
True it does appear more likely, but certain areas and fiction seem to contradict that.

It always appears to be the small population which has developed impossible extremes, such as the small village in Asia which has an average life span exceeding one hundred and ten.

Or the various tribes capable of extraordinary feats of endurance, flexibility or strength.

Maybe it is because small populations have the chance to use selective breeding techniques which greatly exacerbate certain abilities until they develop into superhuman states.

Then again, creatures with low metabolism/highlifespan, that have relatively low breeding, or social patterns tend to be at the top of their perspective philum due to an incredible ability of some sort. Or maybe I am making generalized statements.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Mik_Hael wrote
certain areas and fiction
That's because it's fiction. It's based of the will of the writer, not solid fact.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Mik_Hael
Administrator
It has parrallels in reality as well. the Asian village was an example.....In addition, aren't the high statistic for mutations which lead to super powers within a large populace based on fiction as well?

Re: Interesting superpower questions

If it's fiction, then it could be anything the writer desires. There are no rules in fiction. In reality however, statistics take over and statistics say the chance is greater in a larger populace.

Re: Interesting superpower questions

Mik_Hael
Administrator
Statistics are interesting but there is proof of high level abilities at a high percentage in dense cultures not subject to heavy level transit from the rest of the world. So basically the more bang for your buck theory.
123456 ... 45