Music Awesomeness!

Okay. I want the forum to be open to as many different interests and fan groups as possible. So, since we have so many other Awesomeness threads, I figured we might as well have one for music. Naturally, the thread is not limited to one kind of discussion or post.

It is not restricted to one genre (it may be rap, rock, classical, jazz, hip-hop, gospel, whatever, as long as you think it's awesome).

It is not restricted to only post music videos, or only music links, or only music artist/group fandom, or only music lyrics, or only talk about music theory, or only recommendation of new songs/genres/artists. Any and all musical discussion is allowed and encouraged. Just (in the words of Tara Gilesbie) NO FLAMMING!

It is a place for discussion, debate, appreciation and analysis. Even if you just want to name a certain song/genre/artist you like, or tell us your favorite songs/genres/artists (or post pics of them or news about them), you may certainly do that.

Just keep the conversation respectful. Even if the lyrics you discuss (or enjoy) are not.

Now. Since I've gone and gotten all that out of the way, does anybody feel like they have anything they want to share? Favorite song? Favorite genre? Favorite artist? Favorite band/group?

Re: Music Awesomeness!

We studied this today in Creative Writing. The arc and plot and progression and symbolism and all that. Hadn't ever actually heard the entire song before, but it's actually pretty good (for a genre of music I seldom listen to).

Re: Music Awesomeness!

Gentleman Vaultboy
So, I figure I'll post a few great game soundtracks, considering that they're pretty much all I listen to.

First up is Nier, made by magnificent troll developer extraordinaire Cavia. If you don't know what mean by troll developer, you haven't ever experienced a Cavia Game. For instance, in one of their games, Bullet Witch, the achievement you get for completing all the games missions with S rank gives you 1 gamerscore. Another, Drakengard, had multiple endings. Each of these endings was more horrible and gruesome than the last, with the hardest to get making no sense whatsoever and yet still punching you in the gut. Cavia hates you. Cavia hates YOU personally, and wants to see you suffer.

Nier is at once both the studios Magnum Opus, and the biggest middle finger ever given to the gaming public. They make one awesome, great, extraordinary game with likeable characters, a touching plot, great writing and voice acting, proving definitively that every other offering by the studio was deliberately bad and they actually know what they're doing.

Then they go bankrupt and leave all rights to the game to Square-Enix. I refuse to believe this wasn't deliberate.

But that's enough of my rambling about game history. What I was talking about was the soundtrack. I will put this as bluntly: Nier has, hands down, the greatest soundtrack I have ever heard for a game. Of the 43 tracks on the OST, only 9 do not feature human vocals. The vocals are performed exceptionally well, male and female, in languages ranging from Latin, to Japaneses, to Gaelic, all mixed together into a pretty sounding fictional language. I highly recommend every single track, because it simply has no weak ones.

Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: Music Awesomeness!

What do you think of this one? It's Lost Ones (Remix) by Lauryn Hill. I personally love it, because I am both a poet and a connoisseur of psychology and philosophy and the esoteric. And apparently, this song combines all three of the former. Some conspiracy theorists believe she wrote this about the Illuminati.

In fact...look at the lyrics, and make the call for yourself. (And just as a disclaimer, please take your white people caps off, dialect should not detract from the meaning of the song...)

Yeah, this one hot lava

Yo yo, get the Commisioner (Gordon) on the phone
Tell ?, line up the revolutionaries y'all

It's funny how money change a situation
Miscommunication lead to complication
My emancipation don't fit your equation
I was on the humble, you - on every station
Some wan' play young Lauryn like she dumb
But remember not a game new under the sun
Everything you did has already been done
I know all the tricks from Brix(ton) to Kingston
My ting done made your kingdom wan' run
Now understand L. Boogie non-violent
But if a thing test me, run for mi gun
Can't take a threat to mi newborn son
L been this way since creation
A groupie call, you fall from temptation
Now you wanna ball over separation
Tarnish my image in your conversation
Who you gon' scrimmage, like you the champion
You might win some but you just lost one

You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one

Now, now how come your talk turn cold
Gained the whole world for the price of your soul
Tryin' to grab hold of what you can't control
Now you're all floss, what a sight to behold
Wisdom is better than silver and gold
I was hopeless now I'm on Hope road
Every man want to act like he's exempt
When him need to get down on his knees and repent
Can't slick talk on the day of judgement
Your movement similar to a serpent
Tried to play straight, how your whole style bent?
Consequence is no coincidence
Hypocrites always want to play innocent
Always want to take it to the full out extent
Always want to make it seem like good intent
Never want to face it when it's time for punishment
I know that you don't wanna hear my opinion
But there come many paths and you must choose one
And if you don't change then the rain soon come
See you might win some but you just lost one

You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one

Now don't you understand man universal law
What you throw out comes back to you, star
Never underestimate those who you scar
Cause karma, karma, karma comes back to you hard
You can't hold God's people back that long
The chain of Shaitan wasn't made that strong
Trying to pretend like your word is your bond
But until you do right, all you do will go wrong
Now some might mistake this for just a simple song
And some don't know what they have 'til it's gone
Now even when you're gone you can still be reborn
And, from the night can arrive the sweet dawn
Now, some might listen and some might shun
And some may think that they've reached perfection
If you look closely you'll see what you've become
Cause you might win some but you just lost one

You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one
You might win some but you just lost one...

Re: Music Awesomeness!

How about y'all try some Rachelle Ferrell on for size?

Re: Music Awesomeness!

And this is utterly awesome.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

Kimbra Johnson, Good Intent. This is just...I don't even...just...just guh. That is all I can say to this song. Freaking guh.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

WonderDrow
Some of those NieR Gestalt soundtracks remind me of the soundtrack of the Ghost In The Shell movie.

True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: Music Awesomeness!

So, yeah, giving Pandora a second chance. It's lovely, when you get used to its concept.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

Wow, that's eerie...The video reminds of the Twilight Zone's 'It's a Good Life', or Stephen King's 'Carrie' or the 2012 movie 'Chronicle. But you know what the lyrics remind me of? The shootings at Newtown, PA.

RIP to the fallen.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

WonderDrow
Administrator
You want eerie ?

What do you think of this one ?

True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: Music Awesomeness!

 He had it coming.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

♪ She-Wolf ♪, by David Guetta ft. Sia

Apparently, the girl in that video is destined to be my wife.

 And yes, I'm listening to it on repeat. Aside from the lyrics being quite nicely poetic, the video is absolutely epic. And I don't use that word often.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

WonderDrow
Administrator
Not sure she's the one. She's a ginger, so she has no soul?

What superpower is used there? It seems dangerous.
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: Music Awesomeness!

 That there is some good old fashioned reality bending. Seems sort of like the kind I made up for my reality bending character, Project M.A.I.D.E.N. Generating glitches in reality, like some sort of supernatural universal programmer. A hacker, even.

Re: Music Awesomeness!

True enough, it's not music, but it's comedy based on some sort of rivalry between two well known hip-hop music artists. For those of you who don't know, this is Nicki Minaj (in the pink jacket) and Lil Kim (in the brownish jacket).

Re: Music Awesomeness!

Re: Music Awesomeness!

Re: Music Awesomeness!

Re: Music Awesomeness!

WonderDrow

Will it be a perfect day in Ponyville?
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~
123