Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

wilson
Just as the question states above. Can humans, in general, handle having superpowers and using them? When I say "superpowers", I mean picking up cars, shooting lasers out of the eyes, mind-reading, emit fire from the palms, telekinesis, mind-control, etc. Give you opininion on whether or not people in this world are mentally ready to gain superpowers without becoming corrupted.

In other words, basically what I'm asking is, if you had the choice, would you want ALL human beings on this planet (regardless of race, gender, religion, alignment, etc.) to suddenly gain a superpowers or is that not such a good idea?

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

No. A big, unfiltered "NO". Humans (as a whole) can't handle it.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Philote
Administrator
Agreed
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Gentleman Vaultboy
Have you ever heard of Dunbar's number?

It's an interesting thing, related to how primate brains store information.  It is based on data from other primate groups where there is a strong correlation between group size and the size of the brain's neocortex. Basically, the bigger the Neocortex in a species of ape, the lager the groups those apes form. You can predict the among of monkeys that will band together, based on the size of a certain part of their brain.

Dunbar's number, for human beings, is around 150. That's the hard, biological limit on the number of stable social relationships a human being can have. That's not 150 people that you like. That's not 150 people that you see often. Those 150 people are the only people your brain can recognize as being other living breathing human beings. Everyone else you meet? Bit parts, extras in the movie that is your life. Unimportant. May as well be cardboard cutouts. Or ants.

That's why you're not constantly sad about children starving to death in Africa, but feel upset when your pet gets hit by a car. The pet was one of your 150.

So no, I don't think superpowers are a good idea.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?
Whd

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Whd
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Myself
Administrator
I agree with WHD here.

It is actually a point of debate in reference to New Beginning.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

 Hehe, indeed. Humans as a whole aren't nearly ready for superhuman capability.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Personally, I'd totally go super villain if I developed superpowers. Either that or sell my services to the army.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Well, I guess it really depends on what powers I got. If strong enough to bend reality and whatnot, I'd probably temporarily help with a few world problems (hunger, poverty etc), and then just take off. Otherwise, I might have to become a moral-grey vigilante.

Unless I got something dumb like Sweater Vision. Then, I'd be a model citizen...
Whd

CONTENTS DELETED

I'd be full on evil....I'm fairly certain I could not resist the temptation to steal and cheat. Reigning destruction on cities for fun.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

What?

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

The thought is frightening...

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

What? Evil Marv? Why?
Praise the Sun
Whd

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

I think you may overestimate the power of your word's influence on me....just saying.
Praise the Sun
Whd

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Do you think people in this world are ready to possess superhuman abilities?

Oh I see, you assume you would have superpowers as well in this situation. But I was referring to a hypothetical world in which only I had superpowers...your words would not deter me from evil.
Praise the Sun
Whd