what do you think about in a power

MichaelZ
hello there I was wondering what your process was when thinking about how to use a power you have received, here are mine in no particular order

how can I maintain secrecy with this power (if I have to)

how can I get money and/or power?

how can I do good?

what can't I do with this power?

Re: what do you think about in a power

WonderDrow
Administrator

1) Do I like the power? (totally subjective based on how it's written, coolness factor, usefulness, humor, cons, ...)
2) Is it required as a defense against certain other powers when we have to deal with out-of-control NB characters?
3) Isn't the power only focused on harming other beings? (don't want to mess with karma if you can't manipulate it)
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: what do you think about in a power

As per usual, Wonder_Drow poses some excellent points.

Re: what do you think about in a power

Gentleman Vaultboy
1. Can this be used to significantly improve the lives of the human race?
If not--->
2. Can this be used to improve my life and the lives of those close to me, without harming anyone else?
If not--->
3. Could I use this to make my everyday life easier without harming anyone else?
If not--->
4. Is it a neat thing that doesn't harm anyone?
If not--->
5. Is this power inherently harmful to others?

If yes, I don't want anything to do with it.

Being able to use it in anonymity would be preferred, but not required.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: what do you think about in a power

Myself
I'm not sure that Wonder_Drow is capable of not doing so.

As for me, I simply search for powers which are useful themselves or failing that are useful with other powers in my collection. I also attempt to avoid powers with serious drawbacks.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: what do you think about in a power

WonderDrow
Administrator
Myself wrote
I'm not sure that Wonder_Drow is capable of not doing so.
As the red monkey chased the brokenhearted fugitive.
So did we forget about the abandoned dream scape.
No doubt you mean well, you palpable soul.
After all, a hidden swipe with honeysuckle feels so good.
Your point has been proven moot.
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: what do you think about in a power

Myself
Administrator
Indeed it has.

Wait...you have raised an excellent point in that comment by proving that you can raise a non-excellent point.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: what do you think about in a power

WonderDrow
Administrator
By the foredoomed conundrum of hypocrisy!
Obscure irony never halts the illusion of purportless...
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: what do you think about in a power

Smackgiver
Good points made by all.  I would echo them and add a general thought - I despise tyranny and bullies with a white-hot passion, so I view every power I encounter thru the filter of how it can be used to thwart either/both.

A specific example would be if a bully or a tyrannical municipality acquired some tactical military advantage over neighbors or their own people and decided to throw their weight around.  I would view power selection thru the lenses of which one would allow me to overpower him/her/them (if the power has some potency) or surreptitiously sabotage their goals.
Peace, Love, and Rockets

Re: what do you think about in a power

Personally, I prefer powers that are multifaceted. It doesn't really matter the source (Physical- Shapeshifting, Hyperelasticity, Size Shifting; Psychic/Psionic- Telekinesis, Quantakinesis), as long as it lets me get a lot done, without too much reliance on outside people, weapons or tools, then I'm good.

As long as it's not too restricted to one time, place or source

ex: If Aquaman had ONLY the power to communicate with marine animals, Aquatic Telepathy, then he would be just as useless as most people proclaim he is, only capable of being any real help while submerged in, or nearby, a body of water populated with sea critters; however, since he also has Aquatic Adaptation, Aquatic Telepathy, as well as superhuman physical attributes and his magical indestructible trident, he's a powerhouse, and could easily care a comic issue by himself, in water or out.