how would spidermans powers work

Blackrravian
In the movie they don't explain how the spider bite aeffect him and is this a real life possibility
the darkest place in the world is the human heart think about it

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Viral Gene Therapy?

Enhanced Reflexes?

Altered Musculature?

Some type of micro-grip?

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Retrovirus.

Word I was looking for.

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Myself
Administrator
Preexisting trait, triggered by dose of ionizing radiation?

Radiation doesn't work like that, but it can cause occasional mutation and effect gene expression. I suspect the trait was already there and it was triggered by radiation deactivating genes suppressing it; the fact that there was a spider involved was purely incidental.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: how would spidermans powers work

WonderDrow
Administrator
I just assume that the spider bite altered Peter Parker's genes in such a way that it gave him some of the traits of a spider.

Wether that spider was changed in an experiment by radiation or genetic modification doesn't really matter.

It isn't possible in real life to get this by a freak accident. At most you would get a painfull rash.
But maybe someday if the technology to engineer virusses improves. So that we can alter the genes of someone.
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Which is why I would assume some sort of cocktail of retroviruses in the spider's venom would be more likely.

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Gentleman Vaultboy
So, you think that the Spider bite triggered a dormant X gene?
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: how would spidermans powers work

 Hehe, no, at most, you would get a swollen hand (if not a dangerous poison reaction). Trust me, I learned that the hard way on June 17th.

Re: how would spidermans powers work

I agree, it would have to be some sort of viral factor (which served as a vector for genetic alteration), or some sort of radioactivity, causing manifestation of arachnid capabilities and such (which may or may not have already existed, previous to the bite).

Otherwise, the spider's magical, and ol' Pete is just a werespider.

Re: how would spidermans powers work

I love how simple magic makes things.

Anyway, what about the specifics of his powers?

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Gentleman Vaultboy
Spiderman has extra ordinary strength, but his main advantage is his superhuman agility. He can cling to walls using fine hairs that run all along his body, and he has an early warning "Spider sense" that alerts him to danger.

Spidey is pretty street level.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: how would spidermans powers work

I wonder how much frictional force would be required to allow him to cling to walls..

If it helps, I've seen Spidy stand on a wall as though it was a sidewalk, but he usually has at least three of his limbs attached to a surface at any one time, not counting his back.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Myself
Who knows; Australian spiders are still up for consideration.

Some eat birds as part of their diet and others will eat them given the chance,

Really
the darkest place in the world is the human heart think about it

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Myself
Administrator
Bird Eating Spiders got their name from an obvious (if terrifying) source, while Orb Weaver Spiders (of the Australian variety) will eat birds whenever they get caught in their nets.

I may have been joking about Australian spiders being capable of granting superpowers, but I certainly do not kid about this. Surprisingly, despite Australia being filled with things that can kill you, I don't fear them, with a possible exception of certain aquatic life such as Cone Snails and Box Jellyfish (among other types of jellyfish).
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Sharks, Jellyfish, Swimming Knives, they've got it all.

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Myself
Administrator
I might take a photo of on of the smaller and less-harmful creatures and put it on here. We don't get most of the nasty ones where I live, but we can still get snakes and certain types of spiders can leave permanent scars.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: how would spidermans powers work

Blackrravian
Spiders sharks and bears o my
the darkest place in the world is the human heart think about it
12