Reading

Anyone here like to read?

Re: Reading

Scotch
Absolutely! I am actually very close to the end of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It is very captivating. I must admit that I sometimes give up on books halfway through, but most books I finish.
I've read a lot of Kurt Vonnegut and I've dabbled in some Stephen King and Chuck Palahniuk, as well as some other stuff.
However, I'd say the thing I read the most of is a magazine called Mental Floss. If you've never heard of it its a science magazine for stupid people. Its still very intelligent, it just makes everything make more sense. I also read MAD.

Re: Reading

667
Gah, bro, you're reading American Gods? Heck yeah! That book is the best.

Re: Reading

Scotch
I know! Its perfect! And it makes so much sense. What I really wanna find is Good Omens. Its a collaboration between Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, writer of the discworld series.

Re: Reading

*Adds American Gods to reading list*

I've read -some- of the discworld books, and really enjoyed those..

I like fantasy/Sci-Fi books

<-- Bookworm here!!

Re: Reading

Scotch
I just remembered my favorite author of all time, and the only one of whom I've read more than one book. Kurt Vonnegut! You must look into his stuff. Sirens of Titan was my favorite, Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five are close seconds. His style is very robotic and quick but I like it a lot.

Re: Reading

EverblaDE
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Your attempts to intimidate is laughable..

I bow to no one.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Don't click this link..

or this...

Re: Reading

Hyperion
If anybody really likes to read, I have to recommend Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susanna Clark. It's about 800 pages long, but it was one of the best books I've ever read.
All hail the king of dunces! You best hold on, I'm opening up my mouth.

Re: Reading

I prefer classics myself...Dracula (Bram Stoker, of course), Gulliver's Travels, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, etc. but I'll definitely look at them...

Re: Reading

I finally got around to reading American Gods.

Can't say I cared for it.

Pratchett is still awesome, though.

Re: Reading

Currently I am reading The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror , Volume Nine. An anthology, and apparently part of an even larger anthology (more than one volume).

It's kind of hit and miss, to be sure, but the ones that stuck with me REALLY stuck with me.

Re: Reading

Sounds.. horrifying.

Books don't normally frighten me much.

It's movies and images that do that.

Re: Reading

 Well, I wasn't so much horrified, as just creeped out.

Not much really scares me, per se. I really just get creeped out. It takes a lot to truly scare me.

Mostly demonic or Satanic stuff, because of my faith.

Re: Reading

Dying Words by David J. Schow was pretty good. I liked it.

The Windmill by Conrad Williams was creepy. Naturally, I liked it, too.

The Right Ending by John Burke was alright, but had some drama element mixed in. Not bad, though.

Swallowing a Dirty Seed by Simon Clark was plain freaky, and I liked it.

Then there was This is Your Life (Repressed Memory Remix) by Pat Cadigan. Creepy psychological thriller.

Christmas Forever by Christopher Fowler? Meh...it had a scary premise (not quite what you'd imagine), but it could've gone better.

Four Famines Ago by Yvonne Navarro...Now that was a creepy story. I really liked it. And with a good moral, too.

The Crawl by Stephen Laws? They should make that into a movie. I'd watch it, for sure.
Serpent Eggs by David Langford was WAY too sci-fi. Not scary at all... (Worst. Horror. Ever. )

No One You Know, by Dennis Etchison? Sucked even worse. Not even all that great a freakin' story, let alone a horror story. Too short, and any element of thrill, suspense or horror was totally implied.

And The Dripping of Sundered Wineskins by Brian Hodge was not only blasphemous, but also much more of fantasy than horror. It had some moments of violence and fear, but overall was not scary.

But I'm not done. From the looks of it, I still have nine (9) stories to go.

Re: Reading

Okay, so being incredibly easy to distract, I'm only NOW close to the end of the book I describe in the post above this one. Hehehe...I must say, though, despite my incredible capacity toward distraction from one occupation to the next, I really have enjoyed my latest entries of this book. The latest stuff has been very fun.

Re: Reading

Zaleramancer wrote
I'm reading The Prince in order to prepare for this.
So, what's this about? Who is it by? Is it part of a series?

Re: Reading

Gentleman Vaultboy
The Prince, published in 1532 by Niccolo Machiavelli, is either the guidebook on how to successfully run a tyranny or one of the most damning pieces of political satire ever written.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: Reading

 Oh, that one!

I asked because the name sounded familiar. I actually heard about it for the first time the other day, on the news.

Basically, the reason some dictators are known as being Machiavellian.

Happy coincidence you should bring it up again, Zale. Sounds like interesting stuff. I think I might want to give it a read myself, should I happen to come across it.

Re: Reading

Lesson one: Don't be a total dick.

Re: Reading

 Words to live by.