Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Gentleman Vaultboy
This post was updated on .
I thought I's start up a little thread where we could talk about our Ideas and where they came from. I'll start with a character I've had for years: His name is Louis Sauzer. Louis is a changeling from the setting I described in Zale's Magic thread. He's the sun of a Nobel lord who was overthrown by his brother and killed when Louis was 11. Louis was saved by his personal maid and best friend, Elliot (More on her later, the two are pretty woven up into each other). Louis is spirited away to live with a distant family. Now twenty, he serves as an official Bodyguard/Vassal/Trouble shooter for his only remaining relative, his cousin Sylvia. With his supernatural control of the wind and saber he battles brigands, corrupt nobles, and horrific monsters.

Louis is a changeling, and as such is childish. He has green hair and makes no attempt to hide this, or his nature. In fact, he wears an eye-catching red outfit and large hat to draw attention to it. Louis longs to be a swashbuckling hero like the ones he read about in his childhood (Rescuing damsels, fighting villains, swinging from chandeliers and rigging, Ect.). Despite this, and the events of his childhood, he also has an unwavering sense of mercy, and is the most "Turn the other cheek" person you  would ever be likely to meet.

He didn't start like this. At his conception, Louis was a heroic pirate captain with the surname "Gambler," acted basically like Lupin the III, had no superpowers, and was much more gadgets based. He had these trick cards and dice that did various things. Eventually, most of these dishonest traits split off to form another character entirely, but some remained with Louis. The Swashbuckling attitude and the manner of dress, for example.

Eventually, I decided to rework the plot and Louis into something different. I had gotten pissed off that most media never portray a man and a women as just friends and decide to writ ea friendship. I took the old story of the rebellious princess running away to avoid an arranged marriage and tweaked it a little. Louis, now with the last name Sauzer, was arranged to be married to Elly Tabitha, a strong willed princess of another kingdom. They meet for the first time a week before the wedding. When Louis discovers Elly attempting to run away on a ship, he asks to come with her because he has a promise to another girl that he has to fulfill, who she thinks he is in love with. She reluctantly agrees, and thus the two run off together not to get married. Along the way they have various adventures and become boon companions and best friends. At the end it turns out that Louis only wanted to give the girl, who was a longtime pen-pal, a chance to run away and marry her butler. Louis and Elly decide to head back home and go through with the marriage after deciding that they are, in fact, soul mates, but agreeing that that wasn't necessarily the same thing as lovers.

I eventually scraped this storyline with the entire setting I had come up, after taking a good look at it and realizing that there were some major plot holes in the mythology that I would have to do a complete overhaul to fix. But after that Elliot and her relationship with Louis was set in stone. I came up with the current setting and everything sort of evolved naturally from that. Louis got his powers, Elliot became a maid turned bodyguard.

So, how have your character evolved and changed ?
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Tsubasa & Wen Tien
Administrator
Hmmm. That reminds me of some of my character's developments in my mind. Although, somewhat different from that process of course.

A good case is my characters, Dragon and Rei Dragonfriend. The two of them started as being my possible Author Characters whom I was originally going to use for this site, but then I decided on Dryad Knotwood as you can see(More on that possibly). Dragon and Rei were originally just childhood friends taking on governmental tasks together in the U.S. as hirable mercenaries (Yes, I chose to have them start in the area I was born in, but oh, well) Dragon and Rei both had some limited levels of powers but weren't as powerful as they are now. When I started out with their designs, Dragon could control Fire and Lightning while Rei could use Wood and was a competent archer.

Then I went nuts on powers and backgrounds and the two became shinobi and kunoichi respectively. Dragon gained iaijutsu and Rei became a master at archery. Their abilities became even stronger at this point. They were also in the feudal Japanese era at this point in development.

After that, I finalized their character designs as two warriors of the Draconic Empire and in the Top 50. Dragon is Number 14 and Rei is Number 16. The two of them are married and have several children. Dragon also ended up with 3 personalities (Dragon, Lucia, and Black Cat) each of which could control 2 elements apiece. They still retained many of the ninja skills from their previous incarnation as well. They can utilize the full power of their magic and Solswords as well. I know I'm forgetting something... Ah! I know. I forgot that Rei lost an eye in combat and the two of them lost all their memories from before they were 16 having woken up at the bottom of a cliff next to each other.

Anyone else?
http://loc.wikia.com/wiki/Mina

In NB:
Crescent's best technique: Moonless Night
Suzu's favorite technique: Shining Blade

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Well,  have so many characters, I'm certainly not going to detail them all here.

However, I think it would be interesting to detail the backstory of my character, Shadowulf (my username's namesake--usenamesake?).

Anywho, I first thought him up when I was reading an excerpt of Beowulf with my sister (she had a reading assignment, and she often allowed me to read along with her, even though I was four grades behind her); I was in seventh grade, she was in eleventh. And when we were done, I was inspired with a new character.

Rather than Beowulf, why not "Shadowulf"? It sounded like a cool name, a combo of aristocratic and kick-butt. Hence, I wrote his story, with the intention of making him some strange boy living in medieval-ish times, who discovered one day that he had some eerie connection to the forces of nature, which caused him to become more monstrous whenever he let his temper flare.

The original turned out okay, but it wasn't all that. And neither were the two sequel short stories that followed. So, when my fifth grade stories were lost to me, I decided I would work on redoing Shadowulf to make it more interesting. But instead of just a plain out story...why not a comic?

With that, I began the comic named simply, Shadowulf. It was about a king, King Estro, who lived in medieval Safaria (I had yet to entirely complete the geography of Celadon, but had at least though of Safaria and Mygea). He had three sons, Estro II, Ameadeus and Shadowulf. Estro was the big, strong jock type. Ameadeus was the younger brother aspiring to be like the older brother. But Shadowulf was different. He was kind and good-natured, and a little flighty. Loved poetry, etc. His only problem was that, when the full-moon arose, he became a werewolf.

The whole rest of the story is long and drawn out, and I can't be bothered to explain it all right now (unless you ask nicely  ) but I assure you, it has promise.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Mik_Hael
Administrator
I have two sources I guess. Whenever I come up with a random idea I just run with it and see where it goes. About half he time the idea becomes a concrete concept and so do the characters inside. Then, they just continually evolve, sometimes taking entirely different routes than I wanted them to, but either way it turns out alright.

the other source are my dreams, every now and then I have a dream that stick, and then I simply remember it, and begin creating the story, eventually it all begins to make sense, and the past and future devlope.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Me, too.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Me too...I guess. Not sure what character I should talk about here

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Philote
Administrator
Philote has always been my main character. I started adding to his story mainly when a group of my friends and I got together to write a story for class, but I have always been adding to him since then.
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Tsubasa & Wen Tien
Administrator
I've always had several characters. Currently, the number of characters is... wait one second and let me check... (pulls out a dozen notebooks and starts flipping through) one... two... three... four... (hour later) one hundred fifty six... Ah, well. I'm gonna stop right here and say that I have over 100, maybe 200 characters. The only question is which one to talk about. Byakudo, Amir, Jeanette, Dominic,  Candice, Sigmund, Premila, SGA-2163 TR7, Jae-Ha, etc. Who to talk about?!?
http://loc.wikia.com/wiki/Mina

In NB:
Crescent's best technique: Moonless Night
Suzu's favorite technique: Shining Blade

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Philote
Administrator
I have other characters from Philote's world, but Philote will always be my main one.

I've had some other stories as well, but didn't' take them as far.
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Gentleman Vaultboy
Oh, any of them.

On that note, a figure I should mention Elliot because ever since she came about Louis has never been a single character.

Elliot, as I said above, was the textbook rebellious princess who runs away from home archatype. Train and learn martial arts while your parents aren't looking and wants to get out and see the world. However instead of strutting out on her own into the world, she had Louis naive little rear tagging along for the ride, and they had to rely on one another to survive. Louis was, after all, the one who knew how to steer a ship. Many adventures and mishaps later, and the two are fast friends and platonic soul mates.

When I abandoned the plot-line, I decided to change the dynamic a bit. I turned her into the daughter of a famous bodyguard, who got sweat up into the Sauzer merchant family by befriending a young Louis at the age of 7. Turns out, this sort of set up (The two working on one of Adealis Sauzers merchant ships) wasn't very conductive to many different types of adventure. Also, I always wanted her to be the sort of "Pint-sized bruiser," but the setting gave no adequate way to justify how strong I wanted her to be. So, I made an all new setting. This one was actually a modification of one I made for a pair of other characters.

In this one, the new spirit setting, she was the personal maid to a young Louis. It was always important to me that they meet at a young age. This way, the Westermark Effect took hold. Louis, Now a changing, was a angsty and spiteful young boy with a huge chip on his shoulder and no friends. Eventually, after hearing him whine for the last time, she hauled off and punched him square in the face. What proceeded was a short tussle where she called him out on what a brat he was being and pointed out that there were others like him much worse off. This little reality check was the foundation of their friendship.

Now Elliot acts as his official bodyguard, and the two are sent out to do various jobs for louis's cousin. In contrast to Louis's naivete, optimism, and willingness to let bygones be bygones, Elly is much more suspicious, cynical, and prone to killing any threats to either her or Louis's life. She also has a habit of going all vigilante justice on those that are untouchable by the law, such as nobles. Louis pretends that he doesn't know about this.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Mik_Hael
I had another dream last night, I think I dropped into the middle of some story.

Apparently this guy was i a warehouse fighting against what looked like a Mafia during midday, until the leader of this group and a super powered CIA agent in a blue suit came up and fought him instead. He kicked was kicking their buts using some sort of semi demonic power while they were using it as well, until they came to a stale mate. The guy said he was here to rescue some girl, forgot her name, who had actually been possessed by the CIA agent and taken over in body and soul in order to complete some ritual to become the new repossesed for some god like oracle figure on the other side of the city. It was then that the CIA agent laughed and said something of the lines Release her? then in her voice I am her. After that the gy fell into dispair and was about to be carted off, but as he was the CIA agent lost sight of both im and the boss, and do to him apparently being a servant calss of revanent, if they cannot visibly see a repossessed they go back into a hibernative mode and their posssessed regains their body and consciousness.

So realizing this the guy I was hovering in, throws off the mafia men, hijacks the car he was being put in, and drives it up a ramp over the other side of the warehouse to remain out of sight, while yelling back to the girl. It ends up she actually did want to be rescued and in the span of a fe seconds he makes a plan to stop them on route to the oracle and drives out of the building. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much time to actually seperate them before the CIA agent would awaken again, which would take .7 seconds upon him actually being seen by the girl again, while it took hiim approximately 1.5 seconds to manifest his power.

Unfortunately his plan fails slightly becase they take a different route, so he ends up arriving secons before them , and the girl having caught sight of the oracle, becomes possessed by the agent again, who I hear from a passing conversation was apparently the best of a certain group who had been rumored to come out of retirement recently.

So CIA agent and the guy fight again, and the guy manages to knock him out for a short time before running into the building. Apparently groups of people are waiting in their wishes granted by the oracle, theres one guy complaining about some corrupt family that was turned into sand and their entire premises into a circle of quicksand by their princess, but the curse is spreading, and all of the advisors are apparently the idiot sons of the dead queen, and there are two men bickering over physics, the guy says that they could just wish for a book containing the correct answer to every question instead of asking if their right, but due to the distraction he wastes his time and the CIA agent regains his coposure so he has to escape outside.

 They start to fight again, and the guy I'm hovering around seems to begin taking some demonic form, red ringed irises, black pupils, black cloak, three swords flaiming in darkness, but they seem to be almost even even with that. They guy I'm hanging around declares his hatred for the agent. finally the CIA agent says that it's going to be done no matter what happens because the oracle needs a new possessed. So the guy becomes silent for a few seconds before saying "I"ll do it."

The CIA agent laughs and says that he's not worthy and he'll just die, and the guy says that it doesn't matter, if he had to live without her he'd rather be dead. So they go in and the procedure is about to begin and I wake up before the good part.

It's about 2 oclock at night so I try to enter the dream again  but end up hallucinating for about thirty minutes with four different sequences of events, involving the guy actually being already possessed by a sealed being mightier than the oracle who either hits on her, goes on a city wide demonic rampage, or simply seeks revenge for being almost erased and tossed aside for 1000 years.

I finally get another dream that last all of about 45 seconds, and it's in comic page form. Apparently three beings are in this space like dimension, ones what looks like a child who has this unnaturally wide smile with all of these disturbingly happy images surrounding it asking "So what do you say." The oracle says, no your not worthy, and waits for the child to disappear.The oracle then frowns with a look that is a mix of exhaustion, despair, and annoyance before saying "That was the smile of god." The CIA agent turns towards her says "Does this mean what I think it does?" And the oracle says "Yes, they're returning" With a look of grave determination on her face. There were two more panels, but before I could read them I was woken up by something again and it was already morning, but a few minutes before I usually wake up anyway -.-....

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Mik_Hael
Administrator
So in short between hallucinations and dreaming I was able to put together the world when I was half asleep.

Apparently it is based in a place similar to present day earth, and civilizations are ruled by warring factions of a mixture between secret service and the Mafia. While all of this is happening, there are extra dimensional beings who are actually the runners of these organizations, who manifest themselves by taking over the bodies and souls of mortals, like the CIA agent and the oracle, these things are called Revanants apparently. However, every now and then a mortal wins in the fight and ends up imprisoning the being in their psyche, allowing them to draw upon their powers. These people were nicknamed the repossessed.

Apparently before all of this happened the Revanants had a sort of war with another group of inter dimensional beings, that were either raw embodiments of existence, pieces of a larger being, or just chaos, I wasn't able to read the last two panels in the dream comic and I'm pretty sure they explained what they were.

The character I was hovering around is just trying to survive all of this and apparently rescue his friend, who is prime Revanant bait.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Yeah, same for me.

Shadowulf1 wrote
Oh, well if that's the case, I suppose I should unleash, er, I mean REVEAL my little arsenal of superfreaks as well. I'll go in order of the series to which they belong.

Fighter X (first super team I started with my friend/cousin Chris in elementary- BTW, shut up, I was a kid, the names may be a bit goofy):

Mimica- Shapeshifting (including people, plants, animals, aliens and objects)
Jade- Warrior Spirit Mimicry (could channel Attila the Hun, Hippolyta the Amazon Queen, Perseus, Achilles, etc., etc.)
Zaarx- Superstrength, Reactive Adaptation
Thundro- Electrokinesis, Electrical Absorption, Electrical Form
Thundra- Electrokinesis, Electrical Conduction, Electrical Form
Aquaria- Hydrokinesis, Aqueous Form
Copycat- Feline Abilities, Power Mimicry, human intelligence (an actual cat)
Pyro- Pyrokinesis, Pyric Form/Flight
Phoenix- Heliokinesis (manipulation of sunlight), Pyric Form/Flight
Geenix- Menekinesis (manipulation of moonlight), Light Form/Flight
Cosmo- Asterokinesis (manipulation of cosmic energy), Vacuum Adaptation, Flight
Milennia- Chronokinesis, Chronopathy
Bugsy- Insect Communication, Insect Power Mimicry
The Twin Terrors (no individual names)- Gestalt Abilities (superstrength and superspeed when they touch), Fusion
Elfy- Size Shifting (Shrinking), Superagility, Stealth
Mongo- Size Shifting (Growing), Superstrength, Rampant Charge (Juggernaut's ability)
Poindexter- Superhuman Intelligence, Tech Skill, Knowledge/Skill Mimicry
Icarus Whistlehigh (Fly Boy)- Flight, Avian Omnilingualism, Avian Power Mimicry, Avian Shapeshifting
Arachne- Extra Arm Generation, Spider Mimicry
Tigris- Feline Abilities, Extendable Tail (Looks like an anthropomorphic cat)
Froggy- Superstrong Legs, Prehensile Tongue
Treelo- Natural Weapons (Fangs/Claws), Climbing Skill, Superhuman Agility, Superhuman Dexterity
Chronos- Temporal Spike, Chronopathy
Oracle- Precognition, Psychometry
Wolfy- Lycanthropy, Natural Weapons (even in normal form), Feral Mind (my term for Berserker Rage)
Rectangle- Psionic Shape Projection (2D and/or 3D), Morphic Field Distortion (can manipulate the shape of matter)
The Constellation Kings- Zodiac Abilities (powers pertaining to their perspective signs), Zodiac Form
Vulcan- Magma/Lava Manipulation, Magmatic Form (constant; body is composed of magma)
Sky- Aerokinesis, Flight
Fangface- Feral Mind (Berserker Rage), Hyperbite (Superhumanly Strong Jaws)
Kangaroo- Superhumanly Strong Legs, Superhuman Agility, Pocket Dimension Use
Computress- Technopathy, Telemetry (can produce and receive electronic transmissions; think Hana Gitelman), Ingenious Device (body equipped with lots of electronic devices; she is a truly sentient android; she was built by Poindexter)
Dingbat- Chiropteran Form, Flight, Echolocation (Looks like an anthropomorphic bat)

Heroes of Celadon (second super team I started with my friend Miracle a few years later; P.S., I got much better at names...):

Dari: Stealth, Tracking Evasion (scent, body heat, etc. are undetectable by anything short of ESP), Circumlocution (gifted at deception and ambiguous speech), Escape Artistry
Kazijin: Aerokinesis, Flight, Imperceptibility (half-sylph)
Ausurae: Flight (via Empathic Storm Cloud), Levity (ability to walk on air and glide on currents), Electrokinesis, Electrical Form
Aziphae: Flight (via Empathic Storm Cloud), Levity (ability to walk on air and glide on currents), Electrokinesis, Electrical Shielding
Damaskraed: Flight (via Empathic Storm Cloud), Levity (ability to walk on air and glide on currents), Electrokinesis, Electrical Absorption
Horrendous (his ACTUAL NAME): Superhuman Size (he's a giant), Superhuman Strength, Psychic Taunt (projects taunting feelings of doubt and inferiority onto foes)
Grievous (Horrendous' MUCH WORSE father): Superhuman Size (he's a giant), Superhuman Strength, Psychic Intimidation (projects feelings of intense fear onto foes)
Master Kai: Hereditary Mimicry (mimics the superhuman fighting prowess of all his ancestors), Weapon Skill, Fighting Skill (10 years old; upon finding a sword from his ancestors, he was bestowed instantly with all their skills and knowledge)
Zukiko (Kitten): Ailuranthropy (werecat; dresses like a neko), Conversion (her bite or scratch can turn others into werecats), Prehensile Tail (her werecat form AND the tail that makes up her neko costume...)
Zukihiko (Wildcat): Ailuranthropy (werecat; dresses like a male neko), Conversion (his bite or scratch can turn others into werecats), Prehensile Tail (his werecat form AND the tail that makes up his neko costume...)
Fau (rhymes with NOW): Psychic Navigation (can find anything, anywhere, anytime), Superhuman Senses, Fault Detection (can sense the weaknesses of others, physical, mental, etc.)
Miryuho: Superhuman Strength, Superhuman Durability, Rapid Gyration (she can spin at high speeds like the Tasmanian Devil)
Madam Rehd: Rehd Myst (can manipulate anything red, including red light), Fighting Skill
Madam Blou: Blou Myst (can manipulate anything blue, including blue light), Fighting Skill
Madam Rehd: Rehd Myst (can manipulate anything green, including green light), Fighting Skill
Paris (Mr. Myriad): Weapon Skill, Replication/Bilocation
Garefeid (Heartbreak): Pathokinesis (can manipulate emotions), Empathy, Empathic Blast, Empathic Backlash
Vicious (the same one I later featured in the Evolutionist's Stone RP)- Animal Communication, Animal Power Mimicry
Otrera (Amazon): Amazon Myst (magic practiced only by the Amazons), Fighting Skill, Weapon Skill, Survival Skill
Billedandrei (Adamant): Empathic Diamond Exoskeleton, Immovability, Flight
Santa Kaiser Claus (YES, SANTA): Cold Immunity, Cold Affinity, Stealth, Pocket Dimension Use
Gaajaghang: Vibration Channeling (through his weapon, Golghang), Weapon Skill
Mistress Fu (Swordstorm): Stealth, Superhuman Agility, Lancination (the ability to induce lacerations and cuts with the mind), Blade Skill
Apollo Hyperion: Heliokinesis, Photosynthesis/Solar Absorption, Flight, Vacuum Adaptation
Techne: Superhuman Intelligence, Ingenious Design (capable of ingenious invention), , Telemetry, Technopathy
Beowulf (YES, BEOWULF): Heroism (capabilities enhanced when defending lives of others, or combating evil), Danger Sense, Fighting Skill, Weapon Skill
Oracle (not the same one as before): Crystallokinesis, Crystallization (can turn matter into crystal), Crystallomancy (has a crystal ball she keeps orbiting around her nearly all the time
Nyx: Psychic Acid (produces psychic energy that works like acid), Acid Blood, Miasma Breathing, Flight
Tyr Krakskul: Superhuman Strength, Superhuman Durability, Rollout, Rapid Regeneration
Wild: Predatory Instinct, Feral Mind (Berserker Rage), Superhuman Agility, Natural Weapons (Fangs/Claws)
Amara Styx (10 years old; when she gets older, she goes by Tantrum at first, but goes by Stygian and has better control of her powers): Crocodile Tears, Excruciation (can induce and amplify pain), Havoc (Ballistic Telekinesis- when afraid or angry, her telekinesis goes out of control; otherwise, no controllable Telekinesis, until older)
Artemis: Naturespeak (can communicate with nature, and it responds to her emotions), Arboreal Form (like a dryad, she can turn into a tree), Ecological Empathy (can sense occurrences in nature), Psychic Forecast (can psychically forecast the weather)
Charybdis: Hydrokinesis, Aquagenesis (can produce water from her body), Rapid Gyration (can spin like the Tasmanian Devil)
Noise: Sonokinesis, Sonic Form (can turn into an entity of sentient sound), Sound Perception, Onomatopoeisis (can affect the environment by using onomatopoeias)
Roxy (Rockslide): Geokinesis, Metallokinesis, Metallic Exoskeleton
Isidisia Zym (Miss Fortune): Tychokinesis, Serendipity (Innate Good Luck), Psychic Strategy, Luck Sense
Mane Seraph (Zombie): Zombie Form, Zombification (by touch), Necromancy, Mediumism, Death Sense
Byoulin Sheiktrei (taken from Celadonian phrase meaning BS; real name unknown): Absurdity, Mindscape Transportation
Phorcys: Telekinesis, Reptilian Physiology, Prehensile Snake Hair, Petrifaction (half-Gorgon)
Neio Nandeneivious (Spectrum): Photokinesis, Light Form, Light Spectrum Perception, Immutability
Raio Nandeneivious  (Brainstorm): Reality Bending, Reality Anchoring, Immutability
Groufuos moun Gyismubbel (Equalizer): Ceasefire, Yin and Yang Manipulation
Grugnir Bearclaw: Danger Sense, Hammer Skill, Hyperkinetic Attack
Rapunzel (YES, RAPUNZEL): Chaetokinesis, Prehensile Hair, Pocket Dimension Use (in her hair)
Hora: Chronokinesis, Chronopathy, Temporal Replay, Null Causality
Baldrimmr (Mad Mage): Sorcery, Divination
Outis (Nobody): Retractable Claws, Imperceptibility, ESP
Candy: Glucokinesis, Dulcean Myst (Candy related magic)
Pharaoh Tut-Ankh-Akare-Kharid (Pharaoh): Psammokinesis, Mystic Mummy Form, Minion Conversion
Djiszaiya (Hawkeye): Optikinesis, All-Sight (sight in every spectrum of light), Scopaesthesia
Isamina Tenenei (Bounceback):  Hyperelasticity (think Mr. Fantastic), Superhuman Agility
Sybaris Drakon (Dragoness): Draconic Form, Firebrerathing
Dadrian Thorn (Warp): Teleportation, Dimensional Energy Projection, Mana Staff Skill, minor Elfin Magic
Troy Jericho: Invulnerability, Asepsis (inability to get sick, by poison or disease), Perspicuity (immunity to mental contact, domination or manipulation), Immutability
Dysadis Unnondeiminil: Combustion Inducing (similar to D-Struct), Detonation (think Nitro from X-Men), Jet Propulsion (think Cannonball from X-Men)
Gaz-Arag (Boogeyman...yes, THE Boogeyman): Hypnokinesis (Sleep manipulation), Oneirokinesis (Dream manipulation), Psychic Intimidation, Phobic Vampirism (think Knox from Heroes)
Zindrei (Inertia): Immobilization, Potential Energy Shielding, Mechanical Energy Perception
Beltreiza (Kinesis): Kinetic Activation, Kinetic Mimicry (can mimic the force and speed behind any moving object in her range), Mechanical Energy Perception
Etrei (Rapid): Superhuman Speed, Superhuman Reflexes
Jiang Xiao (Sibyl): Veracis Myst (truth based magic), Truth Inducing, Precognition, Veracity (supernatural compulsion to always tell the truth)
Xiao Jiang (Cassandra): Mendacis Myst (lie based magic), Lie Detection, Precognition, Mendacity (supernatural compulsion to always tell lies)
Pneuma (Blowhard): Pneumakinesis (ability to manipulate breathing, and respire gases), Atmospheric Respiration (can breathe in the presence of any breathing medium), Sublimation (can turn into a mist at will)
Anima (Puppetmistress): Animation, Puppetry (think the Puppet Master from Heroes), Bodily Possession (can phase into the bodies of others and take control of them; does this to prevent being seen controlling foes)
Karamchand Guru (Guru): Age Shifting, Superhuman Sapience (amazing strategical prowess), Meditation (can enter a meditative trance at will, and communicate with any other being meditating at that time; can also use this to facilitate Astral Projection)
Gravus (nunna yo business what his real name is): Weight Shifting, Density Shifting, Size Shifting
Uranus Astros (Astro): Flight, Vacuum Adaptation, Quintessence Emanation, Energy Perception
Nebula (Aurora): Flight, Vacuum Adaptation, Aurora Form (skin colored like an Aurora Borealis, and produces the same energy), Hyper Mind (can turn her thought waves into pure electricity and fire it at foes)
Titania (YES, TITANIA, QUEEN OF THE FAIRIES): Flight, Faerie Dust Emanation, Faerie Magic
Jezebel: Hypnotic Charm, Subliminal Sexuality, Psychic Persuasion
Thutmose (Dismal): Umbrakinesis, Shadow Form, Umbrageous Superstrength, Night Vision
Pariah: Forcefield Generation, Ostracism, Imperceptibility, Scopaesthesia
Horace "Hungry" Edacious (Gullet): Matter Ingestion (think DC's Matter Eater Lad), Unhinging Jaws, Superhumanly Strong Jaws
Buck (Rampage): Superhuman Strength, Superhuman Durability, Rampant Charge (a la Juggernaut), Headbutt (like a living battering ram)
Lethe Argos (Dizzy): Intoxication, Contagious Dizziness, Catharsis, Pacifism (similar to a tranquilizer dart)
Kasandra Bemrath (Remedy): Peak Condition, Rapid Regeneration, Healing, Degeneration (undoes the healing process)
Spike Tigris: Prickly Skin (skin covered in quills like a porcupine; spines are retractable), Rollout, Projectile Spikes (quills can be launched from the body at high speed; they can puncture like a hypodermic needle), Natural Weapons (Fangs/Claws)
Victoria Slaughter (Vicky Vector): Vector Randomization Field (produces a forcefield which randomly changes an oncoming projectile's direction upon contact with the projectile), Vector Dilation Field (produces a field that can heighten or reduce force)
Iiyana Fei (Pretender): Illusion, Hallucination Inducing, Mirage Inducing (there's a difference), Delusion Perception (can see through illusion, and perceive the hallucinations and delusions others experience)
Collin "Cornfield" Fieldman (Hayseed): Agrophysiology (think Poison Ivy), Photosynthetic Superstrength (Superhuman Strength as long as sun is present), Agrokinesis, Ingrain (can root into the ground, to absorb nutrients, and for limited Immovability)
Sylvia Holland (Trance): Trance Inducing (can induce psychic trances in others and herself; good for users of powers like Berserker Rage, Astral Projection or Precognition), Astral Projection, Meditation, Theomancy (can receive prophetic message from the divine)
I have a couple hundred more, not including ones from stories I've done. I seriously would be here all day and tomorrow trying to talk about them all.

However, if it's broken up with the occasional break for food, water and rest...I might actually be okay with that.

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

I've.. never really noticed how I came up with characters.

It just sort of happens when I think about wanting a character. I consider what they'd be like, with personality traits, then look at behavior. It just sorta flows.

"I am known by many names, many identities. A different name every town, every sucker. However, I have noticed that everyone tends to call be the same thing. 'That cheeky bastard who got my money!' "

New character right there. He's a rather smug, if clever, con artist.

I"m making this into an book, and hten an RP.

SGA-2163Z TR7...how bout this one?

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Tsubasa & Wen Tien
Administrator
You want to hear about her? SGA-2163Z TR7? Alright then.

I first came up with SGA-2163Z TR7's name while working at my summer job with my uncle's company. His company recieves and ships computer parts and components and one of them was SGA-2163Z TR7. I forget whether it was Triquint or RFMD that made that part, but that was how I came up with the name.

The next part I had to come up with was where did SGA-2163Z TR7 come from? Well, that part came quickly as well. She was part of a civilization that took every child into a childcare system that would raise the child and determine whether they would be better as soldiers or as researchers. Researchers of both magic and tech. The warriors would be given names dependant upon which batch they were raised in and when they were put into the batch. For SGA-2163Z TR7, she's from Batch designation SGA and was the 2163rd one and was put in at the last (26th) part of the day. Next would be the year that the child was put in. For SGA-2163Z TR7, that was the 7th year of Total Reign. The warriors would then be raised to age 21 and half would be randomly chosen to be experimented on. Obviously, one was SGA-2163Z TR7. At this point though SGA-2163Z TR7 was male, not female. The ritual he underwent was 'Blades of Pain' (which is on the SPL), and survived which raised him to the uppermost caste of warriors. Then SGA-2163Z TR7 got turned into a girl when his/her roommate used a magical power that the roommate didn't know they had (Was executed for that unfortunately). SGA-2163Z TR7 then was demoted until she underwent another ritual, "Scar Empowerment." She then became friends with 564-2163Z TR13 and an anthropomorphic rat (name not yet decided on, probably going to be RB5-84J TR35), both of whom had already undergone rituals of their own. They would then go on to be among the 20 strongest warriors of their civilization.

I eventually decided to yank out the gender change part and made SGA-2163Z TR7 a girl from the start.
http://loc.wikia.com/wiki/Mina

In NB:
Crescent's best technique: Moonless Night
Suzu's favorite technique: Shining Blade

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

Tsubasa & Wen Tien
Administrator
Ran out of room in the previous post on the DSi, but I'll continue here.

Ok, so I made it so SGA-2163Z TR7 was a girl from the start because it didn't seem right to make it a gender-bender. Either way, SGA-2163Z TR7 hasn't undergone any major revision lately, so she's pretty much in the finalized form right now. Wait one second, let me check..... Almost forgot to put that she has an immortal life span. The civilization used rituals to make those they successfully experimented on never die of old age or sickness. Any questions on SGA-2163Z TR7?
http://loc.wikia.com/wiki/Mina

In NB:
Crescent's best technique: Moonless Night
Suzu's favorite technique: Shining Blade

Re: Creative Process: Characters, settings, concepts, and how they came to be

 Um, no...but that's certainly interesting...