Literary Awesomeness!

LORD OF THE FLIES

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

I've read that.

It was interesting.

I highly recommend anything that David Eddings wrote, save "The Dreamers" series.

He is, quite possibly, my favorite author of all time.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

I'm currently reading a horror anthology. It is the business.

A couple are hit-and-miss, but I figured that must be the case with you guys as well, which is why I brought up this thread, for you guys to discuss your likes and dislikes as far as books and ebooks go.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Note to Self: Remember "Instead of Three Wishes".

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

You mean this?

Or this?

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

I'm actually fond of this myself.

And I'm currently reading through this.

'Tis awesome.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

And I lost this some years ago. I absolutely must have this again.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Ya know, this is a thread for sharing books you enjoyed reading, or sharing books you plan to read. Making recommendations, giving warnings, commenting, discussing, etc about books.

In case anybody cares.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

I srsly need to read more.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

You know that it's possible to get the Lesser Key of Solomon in pdf form?

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Ah, so you DO know this thread exists?

But, yeah, every once in a while, you find a good full length book on PDF. That's how I got Virgil's Aeneid, Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Paradise Lost, and a couple others.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Yes.

The Lesser Key of Solomon isn't exactly a novel, however.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Um...what is it? A poem? A play?

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

You are very funny.

It's one of the most popular books on it's subject.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

 Well, excuse me.

 Some of us actually have to use GOOGLE for something called "Clavicula Solomonis Regis". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and my studies of mythology and religion rarely take me into the realm of demonology and grimoires and the occult.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

To be fair, 3/5ths of it involve Angels, rather than demons.

The other 1/5 is about air spirits, with only 1/5 being demon-involved.

I would have thought you would have heard of something called the Lesser Key of Solomon, though.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

 Um, no, actually. Again, I don't dabble often into the occult. When I do, it's a short look, for reference.

Oh, and just for the record...

By air spirits, did you mean sylphs?

Air spirits may also refer to demons (Satan is called "the Prince of the Powers of the Air") and Demons are no more than just fallen angels.

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Then it's all about Angels! Or mostly about using God to bully demons into getting to do what you want.

In seriousness though, I mostly find it an interesting inspiration for character ideas. I'm hardly going to try any of it out.

I mean, what if it worked? I don't want some huge griffon-winged bull sitting in my living room. He'd eat all the tasty food. D:

Re: Literary Awesomeness!

Here Beginneth The Second Book called the Art Theurgia Goetia
of Solomon the King

In this following treatise you have the names of the Chief Spirits with several of the
Ministring Spirits that are under them, with their Seals or charactors which are to be
worn as a Lamen on your breast, for without that the Spirit that has appeared will
not obey to do your will.
The office of these Spirits is all one, for what one can do the others can do the
same, they can show & discover all things that are hidden, and done in the world &
can fetch & carry & do any thing that is to be done or contained in any of the 4 Elements,
Fire, Air, Earth or Water, & also the secrets of Kings or any other persons or
person, let it be in what kind it will.

These are by nature good & evil, that is the one part is good & the other part is
Evil, they are governed by their Princes, & each Prince hath his abode in the points
of the Compass, as is showed in the following figure, therefore when you have a
desire to call any of the Princes or any of their servants, you are to direct your self
towards that point of the Compass the King or Prince has his mansion or place of
Abode, & you cannot well err in your operations, note every Prince is to have his
Conjuration, yet all of one form, excepting the name and place of the Spirit for in
that they must change & differ, also the seals of the Spirits are to be changed accordingly.
So, they'd make excellent spies.

Or if you really want to take your neighbor's car... Though it may be easier to simply steal the keys, rather than summoning an ancient air spirit to bodily lift it and carry it back to you.