I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

MichaelZ
I just had a peek at this power and it is so broad with it's description (not a bad thing) that I am having trouble finding ways to use it in a proper way, when I read up on a power, I think how could I use it to A) make money and B) put people under my control, but I am at a loss here

what would you do?

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Gentleman Vaultboy
There is literally no way to use that power improperly. It's just an "I succeed" button. It takes a cause and allows that cause to have the desired effect, even if that cause should in no way lead to the effect. You could set the designate the cause as "I snap my fingers" and then achieve anything you want by snapping your fingers. Want to make money? Snap your fingers. Immortality? Snap. Omnipotence? Snap.

Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

MichaelZ
hmm, I understand now, you have enlightened me, thank you

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

If it's that strong, it has to go.

I don't see why. The powers aren't used for anything like a game or a story so there's no real need for them to be balanced against one another.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Agreed, there's no reason to remove powerful abilities...

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

I guess it just makes me uncomfortable for personal reasons.

Like, I wouldn't want Omnipotence to be available for folks to get on here.

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

WonderDrow
Administrator
As I understood, the superpower list was created so people can have fun with adding superpowers to it.

The forum is part of the website.
As such the forum supports the website, not the other way.

Nerfing only makes sense in games where bringing balance is mostly a good thing.
True colours always shine brighter within darkness. ~ WonderDrow ~

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Myself
Administrator
In any case, if someone attains omnipotence, they must worry about those with Omni Vampire.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

I guess, it's just that certain powers are controversial, like the original version of Perfect Immortality.

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Smackgiver
This post was updated on .
I've often pondered this issue - how powerful is too powerful.  There are some truly overpowered abilities on the SPL already, and I guess it leads me to ask the question - "to what end?"  If the main purpose of the site is for superpower fanboys to wax philosophic and simply put their dreams onto paper/pixels, then I don't see any harm.  However, if these powers are going to be used in a structured format, such as an RPG, then there will obviously need to be some sort of scaling and limit.   However, the limits could be applied to the game by disallowing certain powers to be chosen.

Omnipotence seems to rear its head quite often in threads and I for one, am not inclined to choose it nor debate it for several personal reasons.  Doesn't mean that others can't,  I just won't be joining that particluar conversation.

Let me ask this to the group (and I am in no way trying to make a particular point here, I am truly, objectively curious about others' opinions) what would the harm be in allowing that power to remain on the site?
Peace, Love, and Rockets

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

WonderDrow
Administrator
Only one reason really for removing it.
New Beginning.

 *ahem* Basically.

As you said yourself, the forum should serve the site. New Beginning is of no consideration.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

 I don't think that's the case. The two are closely allied, but whichever serves the other, is really a matter of circumstance. The Forum is great for coming up with new powers to post on the main site, and we reference the main site on the forum for powers to include on the Forum, but neither is really of more priority than the other.

The main site is often down, so we can't see it as the main priority. And the Forum is rarely visited by actual registered users besides us, so we can't claim it has such a big influence. It's really up to us, as to which serves the other, and the answer to that question is not always the same.

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Smackgiver
I wonder, is there an easy way to label or tag certain powers on the SPL as "broken" or "overpowered" for purposes of gameplay?

That way, we could submit whatever powers that floats your dinghy, and any SPL-based RP could easily disallow any with the forbidden tag.
Peace, Love, and Rockets

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Philote
Administrator
I've thought about this a couple times as well. One of the main reasons that we try to limit overpowered abilities on the site is that it is one of the four rules that was actually put in place by the site's creator

SPL wrote
1. Keep it unique.
    Make sure your superpower hasn't been added already by searching for related words or phrases.
2. Keep it clean.
    Do your best with spelling and grammar, and keep it PG-13.
    Entries with obscene language will be rejected.
3. Keep it simple.
    Don't combine superpowers into one.
    Split them up and add them separately where possible.
4. Keep it reasonable.
    Avoid adding godlike or overpowered superpowers.
However, as has been pointed out, many powers on the site can easily be overpowered in the right hands already. Honestly, it would be easier if we just let people put the powers onto the list and then stopped future people from trying to add them by saying they were already on the list.

The powers do not even have a basis in NB anymore. Its not like anyone uses them as a bar to limit their powers by.
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Gentleman Vaultboy
I was just about to start playing by the rules, actually. Just me and every power I have on the site.

I have 5. I call it Vaultboy Must Die mode.
Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

Smackgiver
Good point, Phi.  I was wondering where I saw those rules written.  I think we owe it to Justin to preserve the spirit of his intent for the site... at least with regard to single, uber/godlike powers.

There will always be those who seek to min/max their power selections and go beyond the original limits by discovering loopholes, sneaky combos and whatnot (admittedly, I am one of them... I can't help it.  It's far too fun not to), but I suppose we can at least put the kibosh in the obvious ones like Perfect Immortality and Omnipotence.

Just my $0.02.
Peace, Love, and Rockets

Re: I have no idea how I would use Single Solution Causality

 I technically am playing by the rules, still.

 As Penultimate, I have Reality Bending, and as Shadowulf1 I have Power of Imagination. Same thing, for all intents and purposes. I can hax teh univers.