Collaborative World Building Effort?

Since we're all fairly decent world-builders, I was wondering if anyone would want to pitch in and create a setting as a group?

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Philote
Administrator
Sure, whats the plan or are we supposed to start pitching and layering ideas?
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

I think it would be smart to select a genre, before we do anything else.

I vote science fiction.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Can we mix genres? If so, I vote sci-fi/fantasy.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Mik_Hael
Administrator
scifi/fantasy/whateverthehelleldritchabominationsare. :D

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Yeah, I think that's a second vote for my idea.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Transhumanist Post-Singularity Post-Cyberpunk?!

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Mik_Hael
Administrator
yeah, let's go with that.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

This may interest you.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

I guess we'll leave the genre open for now.

Anyone want to pitch a basic idea or theme?

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Myself
Administrator
Well, it could be a slightly better-organised New Beginning; one that makes sense at first glance.

I vote for sci-fi/fantasy/superpower.
Bow before your unimaginably powerful overlord!

Wait a minute, I'm currently too busy holding a cork in mid air for petty groveling.

[url=http://www.minecraftanonymous.com]

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/IMG][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][B]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

 Seconded.

Whd

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Whd
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Alright, Sci-Fi/Superpower it is!

Now, setting.

Time Period, Location..

Suggestions?

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

I wouldn't mind a medieval-ish setting.

A post-apocalyptic one.  World was destroyed, people blasted back to the stone age, gradually developed back.

Superpowers, but no magic, science as magic, relics of the past: Super-computers, sky-scrapers, robots, etc..

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Myself
Administrator
That sounds interesting.

 Also seconded.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Philote
We should create an interesting mechanic for how the superpowers work instead of just going with generic ones.

Something like a similar way the powers are acquired/activated/improved that the whole world relies on but that each person handles differently related to their power.
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Re: Collaborative World Building Effort?

Gentleman Vaultboy
Marbles.

Post Utopia, humanity makes the most importation discovery in their entire history: The Last Number. With this discovery came another one: with the complete set of numbers, we now had access to the base code of the universe.

Small supercomputers in the shape of small decorated spheres were developed. Called PRM's (Personal Reality Manipulators) when they first came out, Marbles were meant to bring humanity to the next level of personal comfort. Reprogrammable at kiosks in the home, Marbles used powerful math to bend the universe to the users will. With them, they could create a perfect world for themselves, fee of any hardship and personalized to them.

If you wanted food, you could have it. If you wanted companionship, it was yours. Any type of entertainment you wanted was at your beck and call. Each person became a world unto themselves, with no need for others. Each person had the Marble, and each tailored the Marble into their ideal world. With no need for any other appliance, society broke down and fell to ruin. Fields were reclaimed by nature, cities rusted and fell apart. With no one to maintain them, the power plants stopped and the satellites fell from the sky. That is how the end came. Not with a bang, or with a whimper. With a content sigh.

Some were strong enough to reject the Marble. These people were the New Pilgrams, and they migrated from the foodless cities out into the world. Many died as they learned and struggled to deal with things they had never had to before: growing their own food, dealing with diseases, childbirth. These people were the ancestors of modern man.

Eventually, the dreamers all died. Their bones turned to dust, their homes rotted away to nothing. But the Marbles are still there, sleeping where the old cities used to be. The Dreamers perfect worlds, preserved for all eternity. Their only legacy.

Hey son, wanna' learn how ta' make witch balls?
123