Book Help

Hyperion
This post was updated on .
I started writing a book a while back, just discovered this site, and decided to enlist you forumites to give me a hand in character creation. The backstory is thus:

Earth was going through nuclear apocalypse, a man named Joraseph was born with nearly infinite power. In order to save the last 500,000 members of Earth's population, he used his four "God Powers" (Time, Alter, Create, and Smite) to destroy Earth and create a new world, Terran. Joraseph died from the exertion and his powers spread out from his body. Now, decades later, a fraction of the world population has inherited Joraseph's powers, but with limitations: They have two distinct powers at most, and nobody inherits a God Power. Nobody but there "empowered ones" have any knowledge of the previous existence of Earth.

So now where you come in: I need people to populate this world. I'm creating it on the basis that humanity will recreate more or less similar societies but the corresponding ethnicity will shift. For example, there exists an Oriental society populated by people of African descent with a military structure like that of the Roman Empire. So to summarize, I want you to tell me about characters from your imagination. PLEASE, set it up in the following format. The example given is the main character.

Name: Dagan Kronokos(A first name is necessary, last name not. Try not to go too overboard with fantasy names, try to keep it at least semi-realistic.)
Gender: Male (Please, stick to male and female unless you really, REALLY don't want to)
Ethnicity: Greek (Not required, but recommended. Have it relate to the name, so a guy called Yamata would be Asian or Japanese.)
Power #1: Flight (The powers can be anything, barring the aforementioned God Powers, as those are plot essential. Dagan does have one, but your characters should not.)
Power #2: Time (Power #1 is mandatory, #2 is not.)
Power Descriptions: Flight is exactly what it sounds like, the ability to fly. Time is primarily used for time-stops, which are a misnomer. What it really does is take Dagan and whatever he wishes out of time; only then can it be interacted with in any way while the rest of the world is halted. Time travel is theoretically possible, but would consume fatal amounts of energy to travel any meaningful distance. (This is fairly straightforward. Try to think of interesting and powerful combinations of powers.)
Personality Description: This can be whatever you want. Not necessary, but useful for me if you give it.
Physical Description: What does the character look like? No holds barred here, go for whatever you want.

I hope that all makes sense. If you want, I can give a few more examples of characters I have created or I can send you an excerpt of what I've written so far. I hope you can help me, and questions are welcome.

I reserve the right use any and all characters posted here.
All hail the king of dunces! You best hold on, I'm opening up my mouth.

Re: Book Help

Josh
Hey, and welcome to the site. As far as your book goes, I love the plot so far, and while I don't really have any good character ideas at the moment, I do have a few questions (and a bit of related advice).

First, what kind of technology level is the modern world? Knowing that will be helpful for some of those with ideas. Is it more or less modern day, futuristic, a bit futuristic, historic, 60's-era?

Secondly, is this something you will be posting online, or getting published? In the case of actual publication, you might want to check up on Fair Use or whatever and get a disclaimer up here just to make sure no one's going to post a character and later claim you stole it.

Lastly, keep us (or at least me) updated on how it goes!

Re: Book Help

Hyperion
Technology level is the normal fantasy-setting you usually see, a sort of mixture between Middle Ages weaponry and Renaissance living style, so you get the height of pre-gunpowder weaponry without the horrible everything that went with it in history.

As for the disclaimer, thank you, that didn't occur to me. Unfortunately I lack knowledge in that particular field, and have no idea what that implies. Would simply saying that I reserve the right to use any characters posted be sufficient, or does it require some sort of process?
All hail the king of dunces! You best hold on, I'm opening up my mouth.

Re: Book Help

spydyr
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED